St Austell ASC, site logo.

About St Austell ASC

St Austell Swimming Club has been based at Polkyth Leisure Centre, Carlyon Road, St Austell since the Leisure Centre opened in 1974. However the club itself has a far longer history.
In 1892, young men interested in swimming met at Porthpean Beach. They paid fees to the St Austell and District swimming club and changed their clothes in a tin hut on the cliffs! The club affiliated to the Western Counties in 1901 and entered in County swimming events until the First World War in 1914/18. However the war had a dramatic effect on the club and it was then some time before it produced a winning team at County level.
 Charlestown harbour
In 1928 the club moved to Charlestown harbour. The harbour was measured and the walls drilled to attach swimming lanes for competitive events. Water Polo matches were held at high tide
 
 Crinnis pool
In 1961, the club moved to the outdoor swimming pool at the New Riveria Club at Crinnis Beach. This was initially free but then a small charge was made. By 1967 a supporters club was formed to meet the increasing costs.
 
Between 1969 and 1974 Mount Charles School's outdoor swimming pool was used to train young people to swim. When they could swim 10 metres, they were given a certificate and were sent to the Crinnis Beach outdoor pool for further training.
 
In 1974, the official opening of the indoor pool at Polkyth Leisure Centre marked "the beginning of a new era in the history of the Swimming Club". Membership was open to young people of both sexes from the age of 6 years. Emphasis was placed on teaching members to swim correctly, followed by members opting to pursue one of the following - Personal Survival, Life Saving, Synchronised Swimming, Water Polo or Competitive Swimming. This philosophy still remains today.
 
 
Our main club night is now on a Monday, and you can always find someone from the Committee there on that night from 6pm to 9.30pm
 
Our current head coach isAllan Reid